Updated: Mar 9, 2020
Mashed potatoes are the ultimate staple side dish because they pair amazing with just about anything! With a good amount of butter, cream and the perfect seasoning, these garlicky mashed potatoes will have everybody begging for more!
Tips to Consider:
Go for the gold!
The secret here is Yukon gold or "golden" potatoes because they are far creamier and a lot less starchy than other kinds of potatoes, such as russet. They also hold up a lot better as leftovers because their creamy texture doesn't break.
Prep time: 10 min
Cook time: 30-35 minutes
Mash time: 5 minutes
Total Time: 45-50 minutes
What You'll Need:
3-3.5 lbs golden potatoes, peeled, rinsed and cut into halves or quarters (you want to ensure they are all as close in size to each other as possible to ensure even cooking)
3/4 cup heavy cream, plus another splash if needed
1 stick unsalted butter
3 large garlic cloves, smashed and peeled
1 Tbsp kosher salt, plus a few more generous pinches here and there
1. To start, prepare your potatoes by peeling and rinsing them in a strainer. Cut them in halves or quarters so they are similar in size to ensure even cooking. Place in a dutch oven and sprinkle your tablespoon of salt over them. Next, cover them with *cold* water plus a few inches and place on the stove over high heat bringing to a boil, reducing a little to continue cooking at a rolling boil. Stir occasionally and check for tenderness with a fork every so often until they are falling apart tender.
2. Once your potatoes are fork tender, strain immediately and return to the dutch oven allowing them to sit a few minutes to let the steam escape. This is an important step as it ensures that your potatoes won't be "gluey" in texture.
3. While your potatoes are cooling, combine the heavy cream and stick of butter along with the three smashed and peeled cloves of garlic into a microwave safe bowl, and microwave for about 1 1/2-2 minutes, stirring half way through. Once the butter has melted and the mixture is extremely aromatic from the garlic, remove the cloves with a spoon and dump the mixture onto your mashed potatoes.
4. Mash and stir your potatoes until they are creamy and delicious. Test for seasoning then sprinkle in more kosher salt one pinch at a time, testing the flavor to ensure perfect seasoning.
5. Serve warm with butter and your favorite roasted protein and veggie. Enjoy!
Did you make this recipe? Don't forget to post a photo and tag @boujeekitchen_ on instagram and hashtag it #boujeekitchen
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways submit to him, and he shall direct your paths.